TEXT: JOHN 1:15-34.
KEY VERSE “John bare witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom I spake, He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me” (JOHN 1:15).
A witness is someone who bears testimony to the truth of the matter and is committed and ready to testify to its veracity. A true witness upholds his testimony even if this will belittle his own person before others.
John the Baptist was a true witness. By earthly standards, he was senior to Jesus and a relation. But he looked beyond the earthly and, at Jesus’ baptism, he proclaimed Him the Messiah. He knew that truly Jesus came from God (John 1:33), and that He is the Son of God (verse 34). He recognised and appreciated his job of pointing others to Jesus.
John the Baptist was an acknowledged and well-known preacher who attracted large crowds; yet, he was truly satisfied to give Jesus the pride of place. He told the people, including his own disciples, that “He it is, who coming after me is preferred before me, whose shoe’s latchet I am not worthy to loose.”
John the Baptist was no doubt, a humble witness and servant of God. Indeed, his ability was infectious. The basis for true greatness in preaching, teaching and rendering service unto God is christlike humility and lowliness.
True servants of God must humble themselves in all things.
Whatever success they achieve in ministry, they must acknowledge God as the Source. When you honour Him this way, doing no more than He has assigned you, He will not only mark you a true witness but will also reward you greatly here on earth and in eternity. Be a true witness of the unchanging gospel.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: Christlike humility is the springboard to great achievements.
BIBLE IN A YEAR: 1 SAMUEL 3-5.
Salient facts about Jesus Christ
- He is greater than John the Baptist, and all who ever lived, including all the prophets vv15,27,30. Matthew 11:11.
- He lived before John the baptist, even though John was born before Him, indicating that Jesus had been existing before He was born v15.
- He is the Author and Giver of all forms of graces (unlimited and unmerited divine favour and blessings) vv16,17.
- He is the Truth personified v17, John 14:6. Truth does not exist outside Christ.
- All the appearances of God in the Old Testament were the appearances of Jesus Christ v18.
- John the baptist came as a forerunner of Jesus (v23) to fulfil the prophecy of Isaiah 40:3. Isaiah 40:3 reveals that Jesus is God and LORD (capital, meaning Jehovah) v27.
- He is the Lamb of God (not lamb of man, sinners Levite’s, priests) who died for man’s sins v29. Any other lamb for sin is of no use to God.
- He does not baptize with water but with the Holy Spirit v33.
- He is the Son of God in a way no other person is and can be, v34.
10 What is Jesus to you? Reflect.
Praise and adore Jesus Christ because He is not just man but God
Bow before Him in humble surrender and promise to make Him King of your life
Ask for more revelation – knowledge of Christ to your inner man
Ask God to rule as King in your family, Church and the nation without a rival
HYMN O worship the King
- O worship the King all glorious above,
and gratefully sing his power and his love:
our shield and defender, the Ancient of Days,
pavilioned in splendour and girded with praise.
- O tell of his might and sing of his grace,
whose robe is the light, whose canopy space;
his chariots of wrath the deep thunder-clouds form,
and dark is his path on the wings of the storm.
- The earth, with its store of wonders untold,
Almighty, your power has founded of old;
established it fast, by a changeless decree,
and round it has cast, like a mantle, the sea.
- Your bountiful care, what tongue can recite?
It breathes in the air, it shines in the light;
it streams from the hills, it descends to the plain,
and sweetly distils in the dew and the rain.
- We children of dust are feeble and frail –
in you do we trust, for you never fail;
your mercies, how tender, how firm to the end!
our maker, defender, redeemer, and friend.
- O measureless Might, unchangeable Love,
whom angels delight to worship above!
Your ransomed creation, with glory ablaze,
in true adoration shall sing to your praise!