The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 7 May 2021 – Laying The Foundation For Divine Success
TOPIC: Laying The Foundation For Divine Success (Anglican Devotional 7 May 2021)
READ: Deuteronomy 2:1-13 (NKJV)
- “Then we turned and journeyed into the wilderness of the Way of the Red Sea, as the LORD spoke to me, and we skirted Mount Seir for many days.
- “And the LORD spoke to me, saying:
- ‘You have skirted this mountain long enough; turn northward.
- ‘And command the people, saying, “You [are about to] pass through the territory of your brethren, the descendants of Esau, who live in Seir; and they will be afraid of you. Therefore watch yourselves carefully.
- “Do not meddle with them, for I will not give you [any] of their land, no, not so much as one footstep, because I have given Mount Seir to Esau [as] a possession.
- “You shall buy food from them with money, that you may eat; and you shall also buy water from them with money, that you may drink.
- “For the LORD your God has blessed you in all the work of your hand. He knows your trudging through this great wilderness. These forty years the LORD your God [has been] with you; you have lacked nothing.” ‘
- ” And when we passed beyond our brethren, the descendants of Esau who dwell in Seir, away from the road of the plain, away from Elath and Ezion Geber, we turned and passed by way of the Wilderness of Moab.
- “Then the LORD said to me, ‘Do not harass Moab, nor contend with them in battle, for I will not give you [any] of their land [as] a possession, because I have given Ar to the descendants of Lot [as] a possession.’ “
- (The Emim had dwelt there in times past, a people as great and numerous and tall as the Anakim.
- They were also regarded as giants, like the Anakim, but the Moabites call them Emim.
- The Horites formerly dwelt in Seir, but the descendants of Esau dispossessed them and destroyed them from before them, and dwelt in their place, just as Israel did to the land of their possession which the LORD gave them.)
- ” ‘Now rise and cross over the Valley of the Zered.’ So we crossed over the Valley of the Zered.
Success is the desired goal of any rational person. However, success is not obtained on a platter of gold. Various principles must be fulfilled to achieve success. Today’s passage outlines some principles of success namely:
(1) Ability to hear God’s instruction. In verses 2-4, God spoke before the Israelites moved from one place to another,
(2). Trusting and following God even when He directs you into a wilderness. In verse 1, God led His people first through the wilderness, round Mount Seir and then to the cities;
(3) Moving with the timing of God. In verses 1 and 3, it was God that determined the time to move and stop;
(4) Avoiding strife with relatives and other people. In verses 4-5 and 8-9, the Israelites were instructed to avoid strife with the sons of Esau and Moabites;
(5) Performing your civic rights and not taking things for granted. In verse 6, Israel was instructed to buy their necessities;
(6) Depending on God totally in spite of your victories and skill so as to avoid God’s wrath. In verses 15-16 and 1:32, God killed the men of war due to their unbelief.
Beloved, do you want to have good success? Adhere to these principles and you will lay the right foundation for lasting divine success.
PRAYER: Father help me to lay the right foundation for success in Jesus’ Name. Amen.