The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 29 June 2021 – Do You Know Jesus?
TOPIC: Do You Know Jesus? (Anglican Devotional 29 June 2021)
READ: Matthew 16:13-20 (NKJV)
- When Jesus came into the region of Caesarea Philippi, He asked His disciples, saying, “Who do men say that I, the Son of Man, am?”
- So they said, “Some [say] John the Baptist, some Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”
- He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?”
- Simon Peter answered and said, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”
- Jesus answered and said to him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed [this] to you, but My Father who is in heaven.
- “And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it.
- “And I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”
- Then He commanded His disciples that they should tell no one that He was Jesus the Christ.
While on their way to the region of Caesarea Philippi, Jesus wanted to know the disciples’ opinion on His identity. First, He asked them who other people said He was. They gave Him various answers. Then He narrowed it to them and asked – You, yourselves, who do you say I am?’ Peter immediately answered, “You are Christ, the Son of the living God.” Jesus commended Peter for that spiritual revelation, saying that it came from His Father in heaven.
Today, the Holy Spirit is asking the same question: Who really is Jesus to you? Do you know Him? Knowing Jesus is much more than religion. It is about becoming one with Him and conforming daily to the image of His likeness. St Paul in Philippians 3:10 cried out: “That I may know him…being made conformable to the image of His death.”. You must come to the Father through the Son for you to truly know Him. Are you born again? Does Jesus reign sovereign in your life?
PRAYER: Dear Lord, please reveal Yourself to me daily as I live.Amen.