The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 26 May 2021 – Costly Assumption
TOPIC: Costly Assumption (Anglican Devotional 26 May 2021)
READ: Deuteronomy 5:22-27 (NKJV)
- ” These words the LORD spoke to all your assembly, in the mountain from the midst of the fire, the cloud, and the thick darkness, with a loud voice; and He added no more. And He wrote them on two tablets of stone and gave them to me.
- ” So it was, when you heard the voice from the midst of the darkness, while the mountain was burning with fire, that you came near to me, all the heads of your tribes and your elders.
- “And you said: ‘Surely the LORD our God has shown us His glory and His greatness, and we have heard His voice from the midst of the fire. We have seen this day that God speaks with man; yet he [still] lives.
- ‘Now therefore, why should we die? For this great fire will consume us; if we hear the voice of the LORD our God anymore, then we shall die.
- ‘For who [is there] of all flesh who has heard the voice of the living God speaking from the midst of the fire, as we [have,] and lived?
- ‘You go near and hear all that the LORD our God may say, and tell us all that the LORD our God says to you, and we will hear and do [it.’]
Moses reminded the Israelites of how God gave them the commandments by speaking through the fire and how finally he wrote them on tablets of stone and handed them over to him. The reason for inscribing the commandments on the tablets was to constantly remind them of the laws anytime they saw God’s fingerprints on the stones. For us believers, the commandments are written in our hearts within us so that we can easily comply through the prompting of the Holy Spirit.
Note in verses 23 -27, that the Israel’s leaders and elders told Moses that they didn’t want to hear from God directly because they would die. They were afraid of death and told Moses to hear and tell them what God said. This was “a costly assumption prompted by fear. Did they die in the first instance when they hear God from the fire? The answer is No! Even their testimony in verse 26 contradicts their request. Sometimes, some of us, out of fear, run away from the presence of God/His word only to meet deceitful “men of God/prophets’ and believe their lies. Be careful to hear. read and meditate on the word of God. This day, God speaks to us through Jesus Christ (Hebrews 1:3) and we shall not die if we hear Him.
PRAYER: Dear Lord, deliver me from fears that tend to remove me from Your presence.