The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 12 June 2021 – Nicodemus And The New Birth
TOPIC: Nicodemus And The New Birth (Anglican Devotional 12 June 2021)
READ: John 3:1-6 (NKJV)
- There was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews.
- This man came to Jesus by night and said to Him, “Rabbi, we know that You are a teacher come from God; for no one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him.”
- Jesus answered and said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”
- Nicodemus said to Him, “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born?”
- Jesus answered, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.
- “That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
The Pharisees were always antagonistic towards Jesus, but our text today shows a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, who was convinced that Jesus was a man from God. He was religious, educated, influential and a member of the Sanhedrin. He came to Jesus at night seeking to know the truth. He must have seen the signs and miracles Jesus had been doing and for that reason, he boldly said. “no one can do these signs…unless God is with him.” Jesus’ explanation to Nicodemus makes it plain that a man’s natural birth does not assure him of the kingdom, neither do moral nor religious activities. Only being born of water and the Spirit gives assurance of eternal life.
By our first birth, we were corrupt and shaped in sin requiring that we need to be made new creatures. Without the new birth of the Spirit, the flesh taints all works of righteousness. A man may personally cast away his vices, forsake his lusts and conquer his evil habits but only Jesus’ sacrificial death on the cross gives assurance of salvation through spiritual renewal and rebirth. We do not enter the kingdom by living a better life but by being spiritually reborn.
PRAYER: O Lord, help me not to walk in human wisdom but to depend wholly on Your Spirit. Amen.