The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 26 November 2020 – The End Of A Fulfilled Life
Topic: The End Of A Fulfilled Life
Read: Genesis 49:29-50:1-14 (NKJV)
- Then he charged them and said to them: “I am to be gathered to my people; bury me with my fathers in the cave that [is] in the field of Ephron the Hittite,
- “in the cave that [is] in the field of Machpelah, which [is] before Mamre in the land of Canaan, which Abraham bought with the field of Ephron the Hittite as a possession for a burial place.
- “There they buried Abraham and Sarah his wife, there they buried Isaac and Rebekah his wife, and there I buried Leah.
- “The field and the cave that [is] there [were] purchased from the sons of Heth.”
- And when Jacob had finished commanding his sons, he drew his feet up into the bed and breathed his last, and was gathered to his people.
- Then Joseph fell on his father’s face, and wept over him, and kissed him.
50:1 Then Joseph fell on his father’s face, and wept over him, and kissed him.
- And Joseph commanded his servants the physicians to embalm his father. So the physicians embalmed Israel.
- Forty days were required for him, for such are the days required for those who are embalmed; and the Egyptians mourned for him seventy days.
- Now when the days of his mourning were past, Joseph spoke to the household of Pharaoh, saying, “If now I have found favor in your eyes, please speak in the hearing of Pharaoh, saying,
- ‘My father made me swear, saying, “Behold, I am dying; in my grave which I dug for myself in the land of Canaan, there you shall bury me.” Now therefore, please let me go up and bury my father, and I will come back.’
- ” And Pharaoh said, “Go up and bury your father, as he made you swear.”
- So Joseph went up to bury his father; and with him went up all the servants of Pharaoh, the elders of his house, and all the elders of the land of Egypt,
- as well as all the house of Joseph, his brothers, and his father’s house. Only their little ones, their flocks, and their herds they left in the land of Goshen.
- And there went up with him both chariots and horsemen, and it was a very great gathering.
- Then they came to the threshing floor of Atad, which is beyond the Jordan, and they mourned there with a great and very solemn lamentation. He observed seven days of mourning for his father.
- And when the inhabitants of the land, the Canaanites, saw the mourning at the threshing floor of Atad, they said, “This is a deep mourning of the Egyptians.” Therefore its name was called Abel Mizraim, which is beyond the Jordan.
- So his sons did for him just as he had commanded them.
- For his sons carried him to the land of Canaan, and buried him in the cave of the field of Machpelah, before Mamre, which Abraham bought with the field from Ephron the Hittite as property for a burial place.
- And after he had buried his father, Joseph returned to Egypt, he and his brothers and all who went up with him to bury his father.
Jacob’s life was full of ups and downs – he suffered hard times. From Jacob to Israel, he left Canaan to Padan-aram, running away from his brother, Esau. He was a cheat and snatcher of birthrights. However, on his way, he encountered God at Bethel. He later wrestled with God and his life was changed – God gave him a new name. In Canaan, he experienced famine and the shock of the news of Joseph and Rachael’s death but God also blessed him with many sons, and herds, servants and protection. He finally found himself in Egypt to meet his son Joseph. His early life of struggle was rewarded with great plenty.
How is your life like today? Is it full of riches or struggles, suffering or enjoyment, in the world or in Christ? The end of a thing is better than the beginning. Jacob started with a deceitful life, entered into struggles and sufferings and found God on his way, ended up in a palace in Egypt and died a fulfilled man. His burial was a national one. No matter your life, the question is, have you received Christ as your personal Lord and Saviour? Remember that palace, money, high position, titles and wealth alone cannot make your life fulfilled. A fulfilled life is a life that ends in Christ.
PRAYER: Oh God, may I start my life with You, continue to dwell in You all the days of my life on earth and finish strong and finally inherit eternal life.