The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 19 April 2021 – Jesus: The Sacrificial Lamb
TOPIC — Jesus: The Sacrificial Lamb (Anglican Devotional 19 April 2021)
READ: John 10:17-21 (NKJV)
- “Therefore My Father loves Me, because I lay down My life that I may take it again.
- “No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This command I have received from My Father.”
- Therefore there was a division again among the Jews because of these sayings.
- And many of them said, “He has a demon and is mad. Why do you listen to Him?”
- Others said, “These are not the words of one who has a demon. Can a demon open the eyes of the blind?”
God loves people who sacrifice for others. Christians are enjoined to live a life of love just as Christ loved us and sacrificed His life for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God (Ephesians 5:2). Christ laid His life down voluntarily (verse 18) and He has authority to take it up again because He conquered death, for example:
(i) When He raised a dead girl (Matthew 9:25);
ii) When He raised a dead young man (Luke 7:14), and,
(iii) When He raised Lazarus back to life (John 11:43-44).
Christ finally defeated death by His own resurrection (Romans 1:4). Jesus’ words gave rise to divided opinions about Him (verse 19).
Some rejected Him while others defended Him because of His miracles.
Have you ever thought of sacrificing your life for others? What great sacrifice for others or for the Church have you made? Many people find it very difficult to sacrifice their time, talent and treasure for God or for man. Christ showed us an example of living a life of sacrifice that we may follow in His steps. As you go out today, decide to sacrifice something for someone. Will you?
PRAYER: Dear Father, help me to be ready to sacrifice my time, talent and treasure for the Gospel of Christ in Jesus ‘Name. Amen.