TEXT: LEVITICUS 19:14-22.
🔑KEY VERSE “Thou shalt not go up and down as a talebearer among the people: neither shalt thou stand against the blood of thy neighbour: I am the LORD” (LEVITICUS 19:16).
In a play titled “Subtle ways to go to hell,” some young Christians dramatized how “common sins” can lead many to eternal damnation. Some of those sins include tale-bearing, anger, malice, envy, fault-finding, murmuring, love for fashion and so on. They were able to show that unlike noticeable sins, like adultery, stealing, fighting, fornication, idol worship, etc., these seemingly unnoticeable sins have done much more harm to the church than obvious ones. Some Christians easily commit them without being conscious of the inherent danger therein.
God instructed Israel not to curse the deaf who could not hear nor put a stumbling block in the way of the blind who could not see. There must be no unrighteousness in judgement, no tale-bearing, no hatred for a neighbour, no grudges but to love one another.
Gossips and talebearing tear families and churches apart because “a whisperer separateth chief friends.” Unsanctified hearts are often Satan’s vessels of spreading rumours, gossips and talebearing among the brethren. Many so-called believers spend hours discussing people, families and the challenges facing them. Ironically, such people cannot spend good time to pray or study the word of God or to preach to others. The collateral damage caused by tale bearing is unquantifiable. Families have been separated and many have left the fellowship of God’s people due to this evil which causes misery, distrust and discord.
The Scripture warns of the danger of the misuse of the tongue, calling it “a fire, a world of iniquity… an unruly evil, full of deadly poison” (James 3:6, 8). It follows therefore, that a talebearer or a gossip monger is not a real child of God. Let us use our tongues rather for edification and to comfort others.
✍THOUGHT FOR THE DAY Keep your tongue, keep your life
BIBLE IN A YEAR: 2 TIMOTHY 1-4
Hidden Works of Sin-Subtle wickedness
- Doing evil to people by exploiting their ignorance, weakness and frailty v14.
- Partiality either to the poor and vulnerable or to the rich and the mighty v15. Justice should be done without partiality, after which help or compassion can be manifested. God judged and condemned our sins but showed compassion by making His son to bear the punishment.
- Promoting or spreading information that is hurting to your brother or sister v16.
- Preferring judgement to fall on your brother or sister rather than telling them the truth that will make them realize their wrongs and repent v17.
- Subtle revenge, hidden plans to revenge or bitterness against your neighbour v18.
- Syncretism; mixing worldliness with godliness; compromising the truth with falsehood and carnality with spirituality v19. (Please note that separation is what the verse intend to communicate to all saints that are not under the law of Moses).
- Immorality and all forms of lusts v20.
Question: Are you free of all subtle wickedness? Do you know that there is no place for the wicked, subtle or smart, in heaven?
- Lord, let the Holy Spirit search my heart and reveal any subtle wickedness in my heart and attitude🙏
- Lord, I bring my heart to you with total repentance from my subtle wickedness. Come and cleanse me and give me grace that is sufficient for me🙏
- Lord, give me more love for my brethren🙏
- Lord, release the grace to perfectly love one another as brethren🙏
SEARCH ME OH GOD
- Search me, O God, and know my heart today;
Try me, O Lord, and know my thoughts I pray;
See if there be some wicked way in me,
Cleanse me from ev’ry sin and set me free.
- I praise Thee, Lord for cleansing me from sin;
Fulfil Thy Word, and make me pure within;
Fill me with fire, where once I burned with shame
Grant my desire to magnify Thy name.
- Lord, take my life, and make it wholly Thine;
Fill my poor heart with Thy great love divine;
Take all my will, my passion, self and pride;
I now surrender – Lord, in me abide.
- O Holy Ghost, revival comes from Thee;
Send a revival – start the work in me:
Thy Word declares Thou wilt supply our need;
For blessing now, O Lord, I humbly plead.