TEXT: DEUTERONOMY 18:9-14.
🔑KEY VERSE “When you are come into the land which the LORD your God gives you, you shall not learn to do after the abominations of those nations” (DEUTERONOMY 18:9).
A young Christian man got admission into a university in Africa. Instead of joining godly fellowships in school, he went to identify with unbelievers. One day, soldiers found him partying around 1am in town, mistook him for an armed robber and shot him dead.
Moses, the prophet of God, after giving specific instructions concerning the priests, highlighted divine imperatives on the generality of the Israelites. He enumerated abominations of the inhabitants of the land which the Israelites were to abstain from. One of such practices was occultism; others include divination, observing of times, enchantment, witchcraft, familiar spirits, wizardry and necromancy. These were the practices of the heathen nations whom the Lord drove out of the Promised Land. God demanded perfection from the children of Israel.
Involvement in occultism is a great affront to the supremacy of God and a challenge to His sovereignty. It entails the recognition of a rival deity besides the true God. Even today, many people still go to those who use diabolical means to get information about themselves or others. Some get initiated because they want power, popularity, success or wealth.
Believers must avoid these and several other traditional practices that link people with Satan and his kingdom. Those who are involved in these practices must desist and pray for forgiveness. God demands perfection from us. To be perfect is to be holy in thought, words and actions. It is to be free from the works of the flesh and manifest the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:19-24).
✍THOUGHT FOR THE DAY Avoid practices that challenge the supremacy and sovereignty of God.
BIBLE IN ONE YEAR PSALMS 80-84.
Modern spiritism in the Church
- Over 4,000 years ago God has warned of the possibility of His holy people being influenced by the worldly people around them, v9.
- Note The Bible is clear that God’s people should not learn the way of the world because it is abominable to God v9, Jeremiah 10:2.
- Abominable worldly influence comes through learning what the world is doing. These are the steps: Observation, admiration, association, familiarization, assimilation, experimentation and adoration, v9.
- God, from His knowledge of human depravity, that all forms of spiritism will eventually creep into the assembly of His people by mere learning the way of the world, vv10,11. Before you know it, His holy people will begin to adore, justify and import heathen practices into His Church.
- In the early church, mere deception was instantly judged and condemn with death penalty, talk less of spiritism e.g. Ananias and Sapphira (Acts 5:1-11).
- The last days are more critical. Most so called prophets, preachers, church goers etc are secretly involved in one type of spiritism or the other. Even those who are using satanic powers outside the church are claiming to be using the power of God.
- The punishment, like in the Old Testament, remains death- separation from God, untimely death and eternal damnation in hell.
- Your duty
a. Make sure you are totally cleansed and free from all forms of spiritism, v10, 2 Corinthians 6:17. The result of spiritism is disgrace, death and eternal damnation.
b. Don’t fear them or hearken to them, don’t respect their “prophecies” and “prayers”, v14.
c. Flee from the temptation to learn their worldly practices through curiosity.
d. Mere suspicion that a prophet, pastor, “saint” or anybody is involved in spiritism is enough to wisely stay far away from such a person or fellowship for your good, I Thess. 5:22.
Holy Ghost, convict and deliver me from any form of pollution of worldliness and spiritism🙏
God, separate me, even if is against my will, from all modern idol worshippers masquerading as angels of light🙏
Lord, expose, disgrace and neutralise all those within the church that are secretly involved in spiritism🙏
Arise Lord, and destroy all the activities of wicked people against your children🙏
HYMN When I saw the cleansing fountain