The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 7 December 2020 – Don’t Betray Trust
Topic: Don’t Betray Trust
Read: 2 Timothy 3:14-4:1-5 (NKJV)
- But you must continue in the things which you have learned and been assured of, knowing from whom you have learned [them,]
- and that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
- All Scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,
- that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.
4:1. I charge [you] therefore before God and the Lord Jesus Christ, who will judge the living and the dead at His appearing and His kingdom:
- Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching.
- For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers;
- and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables.
- But you be watchful in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.
A managing director of a company once said that when he reflected on the lives of young children, youths and the elderly who were sustained by the earnings of those who work under him, he often feared the damage he would cause if the company collapsed. This made him to take his work seriously. In verse 14 of our text today, Timothy is strictly advised to be different in an evil generation. There are many people whose compromise can be dangerous in our society. Yes, other people may do the way they like but you must not follow them to betray trust. God has made an investment in your life and so your disappointment in this evil generation will be costly. The Bible is God’s inspired word; we should read it and apply it in our lives (verses 16-17). Again, it is equally important for us to preach the gospel so that our Christian faith will spread.
Always do the right thing irrespective of what others around you are doing. The stars shine when it is dark; be and remain a soldier of Christ that stands for Him in all situations. Read the word of God, apply it in your life and preach it to others. Let your life also preach to people around you. Be sincere, honest and contented. Never lose sight of God’s trust upon your life; don’t also overlook the damage your simple life of compromise can cause to the faith. Let your main focus in life be to please God.
PRAYER: “Heavenly Father, help me to remain faithful to You in our changing world.”