The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 25 December 2020 – Joy To The World!
Topic: Joy To The World!
Read: Matthew 2:1-12 (NKJV)
- Now after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the king, behold, wise men from the East came to Jerusalem,
- saying, “Where is He who has been born King of the Jews? For we have seen His star in the East and have come to worship Him.”
- When Herod the king heard [this,] he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him.
- And when he had gathered all the chief priests and scribes of the people together, he inquired of them where the Christ was to be born.
- So they said to him, “In Bethlehem of Judea, for thus it is written by the prophet:
- ‘But you, Bethlehem, [in] the land of Judah, Are not the least among the rulers of Judah; For out of you shall come a Ruler Who will shepherd My people Israel.’ “
- Then Herod, when he had secretly called the wise men, determined from them what time the star appeared.
- And he sent them to Bethlehem and said, “Go and search carefully for the young Child, and when you have found [Him,] bring back word to me, that I may come and worship Him also.”
- When they heard the king, they departed; and behold, the star which they had seen in the East went before them, till it came and stood over where the young Child was.
- When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceedingly great joy.
- And when they had come into the house, they saw the young Child with Mary His mother, and fell down and worshiped Him. And when they had opened their treasures, they presented gifts to Him: gold, frankincense, and myrrh.
- Then, being divinely warned in a dream that they should not return to Herod, they departed for their own country another way.
“Glory be God on high and
Peace to the earth amongst men
the Saviour is born!”
One great event in human history is that God took upon Himself, the human body, that He might save His people from their sin. But those who received the promise of the coming Messiah neither recognised nor received Him. It took complete strangers to announce the birth of Christ to the king, Herod and “all Jerusalem.” However, the event which brought joy and worship in these “gentile” Magi, brought sorrow and mourning to those who were supposed to be the privileged first recipients. Herod’s real desire in worshipping the “Star” (Jesus) was to destroy Him. But God destroyed his plans. My dear friend, as you remain in Christ, any plan by Satan and his cohorts to put you out or destroy you, will come to nothing in Jesus’ name!
King Herod was the “Star Hunter” wanting to destroy the Star of Baby Jesus because he saw the Baby as threat. But God thwarted his plans. Even so, all “Star hunters” looking for your “shining children” will have their plans turned against them. The joyful song of the angels announcing the birth of the Messiah will drown every sigh and sorrow that has been your experience, in Jesus’ name.
PRAYER: ” Dear Heavenly Father, may the joy of Christmas brighten my life for Your glory, in Jesus’ name.