The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 22 January 2021 – Listen To God
Topic: Listen To God
Read: Joshua 4:15-24 (NKJV)
- Then the LORD spoke to Joshua, saying,
- “Command the priests who bear the ark of the Testimony to come up from the Jordan.”
- Joshua therefore commanded the priests, saying, “Come up from the Jordan.”
- And it came to pass, when the priests who bore the ark of the covenant of the LORD had come from the midst of the Jordan, [and] the soles of the priests’ feet touched the dry land, that the waters of the Jordan returned to their place and overflowed all its banks as before.
- Now the people came up from the Jordan on the tenth [day] of the first month, and they camped in Gilgal on the east border of Jericho.
- And those twelve stones which they took out of the Jordan, Joshua set up in Gilgal.
- Then he spoke to the children of Israel, saying: “When your children ask their fathers in time to come, saying, ‘What [are] these stones?’
- “then you shall let your children know, saying, ‘Israel crossed over this Jordan on dry land’;
- “for the LORD your God dried up the waters of the Jordan before you until you had crossed over, as the LORD your God did to the Red Sea, which He dried up before us until we had crossed over,
- “that all the peoples of the earth may know the hand of the LORD, that it [is] mighty, that you may fear the LORD your God forever.”
The forces that influence life can make one make serious mistakes – don’t be in a hurry to take sensitive decisions! Make out time to seek God’s direction. In our text today, Joshua was dependent on the leading of God: What he heard from the Lord, he passed on to the priest (verses 15-17). The chain of command was clear – The priest and the people had to listen to Joshua and follow his instruction if they were to succeed. River Jordan parted as soon as the priests bearing the Ark stepped into it (Joshua 3:15), and returned to its position when the same priests stepped out (verse 18). The memorial of 12 stones was to be a constant reminder of the day the Israelites crossed the Jordan River on a dry ground. Their children would hear the story, see the stone and learn about God.
You can hear from God daily through His word – God has made adequate provisions to secure your life and future. Diligently seek His leading through His word. After many years of hoping to enter the Promised Land, the Israelites finally made it.
They stepped into the Land of promise. God will fulfil His promises to you. God will make ways for you and fulfil your desires. Only be faithful and diligent to tell your younger generation how God saved you, answered your prayers, and supplied your needs. This will help to keep the memories of God’s faithfulness alive in your family and generation.
PRAYER: Ask God to grant you and your family breakthrough in the areas you desire His visitations.