The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 18 March 2021 – Mordecai Honoured Over Haman
TOPIC: Mordecai Honoured Over Haman (Anglican Devotional 18 March 2021)
READ: Esther 6:4-14 (NKJV)
- So the king said, “Who is in the court?” Now Haman had just entered the outer court of the king’s palace to suggest that the king hang Mordecai on the gallows that he had prepared for him.
- The king’s servants said to him, “Haman is there, standing in the court.” And the king said, “Let him come in.”
- So Haman came in, and the king asked him, “What shall be done for the man whom the king delights to honor?” Now Haman thought in his heart, “Whom would the king delight to honor more than me?”
- And Haman answered the king, “ For the man whom the king delights to honor,
- let a royal robe be brought which the king has worn, and a horse on which the king has ridden, which has a royal crest placed on its head.
- Then let this robe and horse be delivered to the hand of one of the king’s most noble princes, that he may array the man whom the king delights to honor. Then parade him on horseback through the city square, and proclaim before him: ‘Thus shall it be done to the man whom the king delights to honor!’ ”
- Then the king said to Haman, “Hurry, take the robe and the horse, as you have suggested, and do so for Mordecai the Jew who sits within the king’s gate! Leave nothing undone of all that you have spoken.”
- So Haman took the robe and the horse, arrayed Mordecai and led him on horseback through the city square, and proclaimed before him, “Thus shall it be done to the man whom the king delights to honor!”
- Afterward Mordecai went back to the king’s gate. But Haman hurried to his house, mourning and with his head covered.
- When Haman told his wife Zeresh and all his friends everything that had happened to him, his wise men and his wife Zeresh said to him, “If Mordecai, before whom you have begun to fall, is of Jewish descent, you will not prevail against him but will surely fall before him.”
- While they were still talking with him, the king’s eunuchs came, and hastened to bring Haman to the banquet which Esther had prepared.
King Ahasuerus had asked his officials what had been done for the man who leaked the information of the plot to kill the king, and he was told that nothing had been done for such a man. The king ordered that such a man be clothed in royal apparel and that he rides gloriously on a horse. Haman thought he was the one to be so honoured. However, the king ordered him to do exactly the same to Mordecai; thus Haman was humiliated but Mordecai was honoured.
Usually, those who are ambitious and desperate about God’s honour don’t get it. “…promotion cometh neither from the east nor from the west, nor from the south, it comes from the Lord-He putted down one, and setteth up another (Psalm 75:6-7). Let us learn to depend on God to honour us, and not to push ourselves, like Haman, for self-honour.
PRAYER: Dear Lord, in Your way and time, please honour me.