The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 1 February 2021 – The Righteous And The Unrighteous
Topic: The Righteous And The Unrighteous (Anglican Devotional 1 February 2021)
Read: Psalm 1:1-6 (NKJV)
- Blessed [is] the man Who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, Nor stands in the path of sinners, Nor sits in the seat of the scornful;
- But his delight [is] in the law of the LORD, And in His law he meditates day and night.
- He shall be like a tree Planted by the rivers of water, That brings forth its fruit in its season, Whose leaf also shall not wither; And whatever he does shall prosper.
- The ungodly [are] not so, But [are] like the chaff which the wind drives away.
- Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment, Nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.
- For the LORD knows the way of the righteous, But the way of the ungodly shall perish.
This Psalm highlights the way of the righteous and his end. It also indicates the way of the unrighteous or the ungodly. Both are opposites. The righteous manifests the following: (i) Does not walk in step with the wicked, (ii) Does not stand in the way that sinners take, or (ii) Sit in the company of mockers [NIV]: (iv) He delights in the law of the Lord (the Word of God), (v) He meditates in the Word of God day and night. For doing these, the righteous shall remain evergreen like the tree planted by the rivers of waters (verses 1-3). The Lord knows the way of the righteous (verse 6a). Of course, the unrighteous are the direct opposite of the righteous (verses 4-5).
In life, man has a right to choose his course – whether to live a righteous life or an unrighteous one. God does not force one but gives us the freedom to make our choice. The choice you make today will determine your future tomorrow. So, which path are you towing, that of the righteous or the unrighteous? God, through Moses, told the Israelites that He had shown them the way of life and the way of death, but He advised them to choose the way of life (Deuteronomy 30:19). Beloved, today is early enough!
PRAYER: Lord, may You help me to tow the path of the righteous so as to gain all the benefits thereby.