The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 30 August 2020 – The Spirit Helps Our Weaknesses
TOPIC: The Spirit Helps Our Weaknesses
Read: Romans 8: 26-30 (NKJV)
- Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
- Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit [is,] because He makes intercession for the saints according to [the will of] God.
- And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to [His] purpose.
- For whom He foreknew, He also predestined [to be] conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren.
- Moreover whom He predestined, these He also called; whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified.
Prayer is a spiritual exercise that involves our whole being. The kind of prayer that touches the throne of God and causes commotion in the kingdom of darkness will not be a mere activity of mouth. When a man kneels in his own strength, he falls away by diverse thoughts and becomes wearied in the spirit. However, when he releases his thoughts and everything about him to the dictates of the Holy Spirit, he can never become bore in the place of prayer. One of the ways through which Christ helps our weaknesses is by leading us through His words; you cannot pray through the word of God and pray amiss. When the Spirit is not involved, the flesh takes over and makes your request self-centered.
When you approach the throne of grace in the realm of prayer, invite the Spirit of God to take over, that is what it means to explore God. You need to engage Him because when the ability to express the deepest thoughts and feelings fail, it is the Spirit that pleads to God on your behalf. “… for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with sighs too deep for words’’ (v.26). This goes beyond bowing of head, closing of eyes, carefulness in the choice of words and being systematic in presentation. It has to do with connecting with heaven, that is why we are regarded as weak but the Spirit of the living God helps our weaknesses. Note that the secret of effective prayer is allowing the Spirit to take charge.
PRAYER: Dear heavenly father, help me to always depend on the enablement of your Spirit for effective prayer life, in Jesus name. Amen.