The Daily Fountain Daily Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 23 October 2020 – The Pure Gospel
Topic: The Pure Gospel
Read: Galatians 1:10-24 (NKJV)
- For do I now persuade men, or God? Or do I seek to please men? For if I still pleased men, I would not be a bondservant of Christ.
- But I make known to you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached by me is not according to man.
- For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught [it,] but [it came] through the revelation of Jesus Christ.
- For you have heard of my former conduct in Judaism, how I persecuted the church of God beyond measure and [tried to] destroy it.
- And I advanced in Judaism beyond many of my contemporaries in my own nation, being more exceedingly zealous for the traditions of my fathers.
- But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother’s womb and called [me] through His grace,
- to reveal His Son in me, that I might preach Him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately confer with flesh and blood,
- nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those [who were] apostles before me; but I went to Arabia, and returned again to Damascus.
- Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter, and remained with him fifteen days.
- But I saw none of the other apostles except James, the Lord’s brother.
- (Now [concerning] the things which I write to you, indeed, before God, I do not lie.)
- Afterward I went into the regions of Syria and Cilicia.
- And I was unknown by face to the churches of Judea which [were] in Christ.
- But they were hearing only, “He who formerly persecuted us now preaches the faith which he once [tried to] destroy.”
- And they glorified God in me.
The pure gospel of salvation has supernatural origins with divine inspiration, no wonder it is a life-changing Gospel – the same Gospel James, brother of the Lord, preached and defended. All scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction and for training in righteousness. Paul did not receive this Gospel from men, nor was he taught by them, it came through a revelation of Jesus Christ. We must cherish this Gospel and jealously guard it.
Violent persecution of the Church cannot destroy it. Even revisionist theories, vain philosophies of men and human ideologies cannot change or tamper with the gospel of life.
This incorruptible seed – the Gospel – is the power of God for salvation. In it, the righteousness of God is revealed. The just shall live by faith contained therein. We must hold on to this Gospel, preach and teach the words of this Gospel to all generations. Above all, we must live by this Gospel because it is the only hope for humanity. We preach no other person than Jesus Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles, but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. It pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe (1 Corinthians 1:24-25).
PRAYER: Dear God, help us to declare Your Word – the Gospel of salvation in Jesus name. Amen.